everyone's a winnerI’m a competitive person so this post is REALLY hard for me. I’m the kind of guy who will compete to see who can stand on one leg the longest. I’m hyper competitive and work hard because I love doing so but also because of this “competitive streak”.

So it has been a hard and painful road to realize that blogging and more generally “education” shouldn’t be competitive. It already is so very competitive and we shouldn’t make it more. That’s why, concerning this year’s Edublog awards - I’m saying EVERYONE’S A WINNER BABY!

This feeling has been growing. See this previous post and my creation of the Random ELT Blog generator because I really didn’t want nor see the need to rank others, leave others out. Same in our classrooms. When we make thinking, intelligence, study, learning into a competition – we leave a lot of winners out the equation. We really do.

This in no way, is meant to frown upon others participating (and if I’m nominated, no problem, I’m honored). It is just that I want to refrain from these “competitions”, in the spirit of my own professional development and understanding (ongoing). It’s been a long road for this competitive titan to realize how harmful competition is in our educational system and I want to stick to my guns/beliefs as they stand.

So I’ll say it again – IF YOU ARE READING THIS – YOU ARE A WINNER!

If you enjoyed this post – you might enjoy “The Competitive Side of Schooling”

Get this song in karaoke for teaching and play with the karaoke player. Thousands more karaokes on EFL Classroom 2.0.