Classroom Management Styles

Socrates said, “know thyself”.  Shakespeare, “to thine own self be true”.  I think both apply directly to any teacher that wants to be effective in their job and enjoy their work/self.

This is why I’m a big believer in reflective teaching practices. (see my own teaching philosophy HERE) But it is more than just thinking about what happened in the classroom – it is also about thinking about who you are and how best to use your talents in the classroom.

Classroom  management is a topic where a little bit of reflection goes a long way. Most problems arise because the teacher really doesn’t know who they are (and consequently the “why” they are doing what they are doing). Good classroom management needs consistency and that can only come with knowledge of “thy self”.

Here’s a nice classroom management quiz that will give you your classroom management style. Read the styles at the end and reflect on which one (actually what blend) really is YOU.  You’ll need a pencil and piece of paper to keep score.

View full screen

Towards Reflective Teaching

Zen and the art of classroom management
a-z of classroom management