three_wishesI really believe in the power of faith. Long ago, I remember reading C.S. Lewis’ poignant, “The Problem with Pain” and noting his wonderful philosophy of simply acting as if something were true. That if we pretend the world is so, it might just become so….

So since this is the new year, I’d like to share my faith with you – by making 3 wishes for English language teaching. 3 things I wish would happen in the new year or even right away.  After mine – it’s your turn. Make your own blog post or share in some way, your own 3 wishes for the future of ELT.

[ and here is my own gift - my recipe for the 3 wishes game. Students love it and can play the genie and produce lots of language! Download the 3 Wishes Game files]

My 3 wishes.

1.  That teachers give over more control to students. More control over the learning process and the content/curriculum.  The answers are easy to get – we just have to let them off the leash. Truly.

2.  That ELT become less provincial and truly adopt and borrow more from the regular world of educational research and theory. This has been called for again and again but has yet to happen. We need to move towards a focus on delivery and instruction and away from methods and applied lingo (oops, linguistics).

3.  That more teachers begin to come online WITH their students. Why the divide? If you can be together in a classroom, why not online? Let’s bring the learning to this fantastic freeway (and if I had a 4th wish – it would be to keep that freeway FREE).

And since we are talking about wishes…… why not visit Akinator! Your students won’t ever get enough of him.