Teachers helping Teachers

Teach Learn posterSorry to keep returning to talk about my course book – Teach | Learn.

However, I want to mention a few things and make a request.

I put a lot of work into this book – mostly to prove a few things.

A) A teacher can make a quality textbook and eschew all the filtering and loss of control that comes when publishers own the rights.

B) Student created content can work. It allows for better teacher development when curriculum is made – not just served as a processed slab of meat.

C) Technology allows us to blend the learning experience. It can be right in the course book and doesn’t have to be chunked off and sold separately.

D) Textbooks should be sharable, printable and for the benefit of education, not just profit (but yes, I do think the work of an author should get a “return”. ).

E) Textbooks should be editable. So they can be up to date (and the teacher / students doesn’t have to buy a new copy). So, in the case of language which is not content laden, they can contextualize and personalize for their own learning environment.

But all this won’t be realized without other teachers joining in. Buying the book and also promoting the book. It will take a crowd to make some noise.

So I’d like to ask not just for your support through purchasing the book. I’d like to ask you to let others know about it (and grab the embed code here). Also, write up a review or use it for some action research to present at a conference. Anyone who wants to write a reviewCONTACT ME for a free copy.

I’ll also state that any teacher who forever reason can’t get a copy but wants one – just CONTACT ME. I’m serious. Money or means should never be a reason for not having a resource for your classroom.

1. I’m not teaching ELT anymore, but I think your new books sounds fantastic, David. Such a good idea to make it editable, and to encourage sharing. All the very best with it!

Susan,

Thanks for the thumbs up!

It is quite a bit of work (alone) but sometimes these kind of trailblazing things take that sort of initiative.

I’ll have to stop by the Book Chook soon!

3. visitor says:

It’s hard to see what the book is about. I see a .pdf like file which small screenshots of a book fill with kids and people. I see small text “anecdotes”, but is this a book for the classroom? What is the main audience for this book?

May I suggest you watermark pages in the book instead and show more pages. I don’t need to buy a book or promote “who, what, where, when, how” at a conference. This is all I can see. Hopefully there is more to it than this.

4. Kirsten says:

When I’ve used a couple of the lessons with my class, I’ll write a review on my blog.

5. Thomas Baker says:

Hi David,

I would like to review your book and write up my review.

I’ll make it available to you for your purposes, as well as posting it on my blog, as well as adding a separate page which will remain static, and thus constantly available for the traveler who stops by to take a look for themselves. (Front page content changes, so this is helpful, providing access for interested teachers, students, etc.)

Secondly, I’d like your permission to use this post, here, as a Prologue to my review.

Thirdly, I’d like you to provide me (for the readers) an introduction (you decide how long) of what your background is, and what motivated you to write this book. Also, you are innovating, showing the way forward for undoubtedly a huge number of potential coursebook writers, so share some suggestions, recommendations, and advice, especially encouragement, for others who might be considering doing something similar.

Finally, get out your crystal ball, and peer into the future. Tell me what you see.

Is this only the beginnning for you, or is this a one-off?

What might influence the answer to that question positively, or the other way, negatively. Maybe you could predict for me, is this the future? How about the short term, 5-10 years down the road? And go long-term, how about in 20 – 30 years time?

David, in spite of the many questions, structure your response according to the message you want people to have, OK? My questions intent is to stimulate your thinking, not restrict it.

I like what you have done here, and I’m quite happy to help it get the exposure it rightfully deserves, in my humble opinion.

Have a great day my friend.

Regards,
    Thomas

Thomas,

Sounds great and thanks for taking up the call! I’ll send you an email about the above shortly. Perfect and stimulating questions and please feel free to use the above when putting together your own thoughts….

cheers,

David

Visitor,

Are you loading the samples correctly? I really don’t understand. Click again and they will even go larger. I think there is more than enough of the book and in full and with working links, to give you an example.

I would like others to write about the book because of its specific methodology. Have you read any of my posts about SCC? Or the forward of the book? It might even be good if you would write why you think it isn’t good.

Also, no need to watermark. Send me an email and I’ll get you a copy to make up your mind…. But give me a proper email other than “visitor”.