The Future of Learning II

The future of teaching is learning.

This is an addendum to my last post – The future of learning.

Just watched this now 3 year old presentation – A Manifesto for Learning. I think it appropriate, given what the last 3 years have presented to us (better access to technology, more profusion of web 2.0, better audio/video tools for learning) to post this up again and I hope others will comment…..

Full Screen

1. Thank you for sharing this.

I’m tempted to say the ideas touched upon haven’t aged a day. I could only tell it was a tad dated by the format… which was a key point in the slideshow— that knowledge’s selling point won’t be the knowledge itself, but its presentation.

And yes, ‘attention’ is certainly one of the greatest currencies of our age, which brings me to a question:

Much of what is available today on the net, was available before in the form of books. Besides the all-important ‘participation’ aspect of the net, do you think the “learn for pennies” student of 2011 is really that much better equipped to learn when compared to the “learn with a library card” student of 1991?

I would argue that the ‘all-time, everywhere access to everything” might take away from some of the drive to obtain knowledge. Overstimulating hot media ‘a la Postman’ challenges this, and the lack of need to retain does as well (mentioned in the slideshow as ‘less of a need to remember”).

Loved the ‘revolution will not be televised’ cameo and ‘return to the primitive side of man’ direction.

cheers, brad

Brad,

Interesting and stimulating comments.

First off, I agree we aren’t much better off in terms of what’s available. (many would disagree and argue that with the proliferation of the read/write generation – there is a lot more out there. However, a lot is just repetition and recycling of content). I do think however that the person/student today can much quicker and with more “refinement”, get what they want/need. That’s so important. Google doesn’t have all the answers but they are quicker than roaming through the library aisles. (however we do have the lack of serendipity – that innovation and true ideas come on the wings of dove, so spoke zarathustra/Nietzsche).

I do see this in the word, what you comment on as “drive”. there is Postman’s “amusement” which is very evident. There is the cursory, flighty and non reflective , unable to concentrate populace. I haven’t processed it all, the changes are new but being in a new environment (now Canada) has made this much more clear. Even the tv dramas have scenes of much shorter duration, even the newspaper articles have shortened tremendously. This all has an impact and we might ask if we still have the “drive to know”.

I think we do – it is just in a different form and kind.

In retrospect, I like the slide, “know less, understand more”. That wraps up the whole dilmea. Civilization, if it is to keep being “enlightened”, is all just about that….
    But I’m glad I put this presentation together. without imagining the possible – there is no possible.

David

3. “know less, understand more” I couldn’t agree more.

And it will continue to change, and I suppose that’s why we’re here. To be and to adapt.

As far as google as the “librarian” of 21st century, it is a double-edge sword. Might be quicker, and ultimately even richer (in presentation and presenters), but at the same time, who REALLY goes past even the first page of search results (or flies on the wings of doves… alas).

For me, this means the ‘wholesale-ization’ of information. Those 10/20 institutions that are at the top, are most often clicked upon (or sneakiest with SEO) will get the audience. With staggering search results of a million, you have to dig hard to get past ‘the most relevant’.

Perhaps that’s where the librarian of the 20th century would’ve aided the process, bringing in a few more colors, and personalized guidance. It’s funny how what used to be a micro-system cultural asset (library with a librarian and her/his localized knowledge), is now a globalized system without much local culture or assistance, but a ton of asset.

Be and adapt.

Thnx again for the slideshow it was a good read w/ fun images. cheers

4. speaking of the devil… I just saw this:

Google’s effort to ‘improve’ ranking for ‘high quality’ sites. Might just be a better librarian after all. 😉

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/finding-more-high-quality-sites-in.html

Brad,

I was going to mention something like that. I do have confidence that we will find ways to get through the information overload out there. The librarians might not look as pretty though 🙂

My biggest concern is again, serendipity and broad knowledge of our society. We can voice ourselves better – but we lose culturally imho. I see a building of individuality and individual response and less community in its largest sense. That may seem strange to others – given how web 2.0 is suppossed to be about community building. I think it is about something else…. and to receive the benefits we do – we are losing our cultural footholds.

but in general and especially for education – any decentralization is great.