Name The Language. Can you?

As a teacher of language, I love thinking about language. This weekend I made a few quizzes which I’ll be modifying over the next month. Making them more interactive and also with video.

However, I chanced upon this video of many languages and readings of Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. (get it in many languages ) I’m stumped as to the majority of the 23 languages spoken. Can you help  out? Here’s a google doc with my incomplete answers and for adding your answers, if you have a moment.

Play the games I’ve come up with so far also. Much easier!

1. Mini – 10 questions 2. Mini – 15 questions 3. Basic – 20 questions. 4. Full – 30 questions.

Can you reach Indiana Jones status? Are you a polyglot?

Also, use the “languages of the world” power point with info. about each language – for instruction. Here’s the handy flash file of the same.

Find more videos like this on EFL CLASSROOM 2.0

5 Responses

1. Vera says:

Dear author!
    Thank you for your great site! It’s really very useful! There are a lot of interesting ideas! Thank you for that!

About the video… №7 is not Russian language. It’s Bulgarian. Be sure : )

2. ddeubel says:

Vera,

You are welcome and thanks a million for helping out.

I changed #7 on the document. I hope to use this to make a video project along the same lines. Teachers submit videos of them reading the article in their mother tongue… coming soon!

3. Matt says:

Changed no 1 on the google doc to Afrikaans – similar, but not quite the same as Dutch!

4. ddeubel says:

Matt,

This video is tricky. I thought something was up with that one… Also, the Russian was actually bulgarian! The Catalan was also bewildering.

Thanks for helping out.

5. Anonymous says:

No 6 is not purely Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian Language) but it is a mixed of Indonesian and Sundanese (Local language in West Java) but there is also some words that I cannot identify