• Uncategorized
  • 2

All my “tech”books

EnglishCentral Basic Business English CoursebookI like the term “tech”books. I’ve been busy the last couple of years creating lots of free books for teachers, books meant to bypass the clutter of the textbook vultures out there. Kind of born of my angst against how textbook culture (and it is a culture, so many are so deep into it, so “hooked”, like culture they can’t even see so), how textbook culture addicts teachers/schools and more seriously, de-trains teachers from actually teaching language in a personal, direct and “human” fashion. Time we all withdraw from this drug and low/no cost techbooks are the answer. Direct, simple and what teachers need – meant to supplement their teaching not suppress their teaching and make teaching into,”exercise 1, exercise 2, now class, turn the page and read”. OMG!

I’ve finally collected all the EnglishCentral techbooks I’ve produced, on one handy page. Take a look and just print and use with students along with the video. You can sign up as a teacher, make a class page of these videos and use the videos there with your students (and get reports, track students).

The normal delivery is

1. Ask some video theme specific discussion questions
2. Play the video, repeat as necessary.
3. Play parts, pause and have students repeat.
4. Students role play the video
5. Students complete the techbook vocabulary exercises.
6. Students go to EnglishCentral and study further, speaking the video etc…

But the point is, the teacher is in control. These are low/no cost, there is no huge pressure to use to the nth degree. They are used as will benefit the learners and the teacher.

1. armenuhi says:

I really liked the workbooks both in terms of the design and content. I just wonder if there are English Central teachbooks with a specific focus on culture?

armenuhi,

Unfortunately, for the moment, what you see is what you get. However, we are working on two big things over the summer – 1. Comprehension questions for all course videos 2. Downloadables for teachers. So stay tuned.

We also will have two coursebooks available (for our Media English Basic and Pro courses) Unlike these workbooks, they will be full coursebooks with teacher guides and activities etc… http://www.englishcentral.com/courses#!/2-media-english

If you are eager, you could always just copy the format of these workbooks and apply your own video selections to them. Basically, you just change the photos and dialog/vocab. I can send you an editable version if you want – send an email to me at david@englishcentral.com We do have a lot on EnglishCentral about culture (the Nat. Geo especially of good quality) and making your own course would be best. If it is good – we’d even consider putting it up on our catalog.