Poetic Justice: A restored book

It was over 20 years ago that I got my teaching credentials from Laurentian University (now Nipissing University: Schulich School of Education where I have been teaching – freaky teaching courses you once took!).

A requirement of one course was to make our own book.  It was a wonderfully practical exercise and I brought the book to many of my subsequent teaching gigs, showed and motivated students with the same activity. Back then it was low/no tech and we stitched the bindings and all that. I made mine by sitting one evening with a pile of my bathroom magazines and cutting and pasting magazine text and images.  I was proud of the book and still am – it has a place in our livingroom showcase.

Finally spent some time digitizing it. It was a laborious task and I didn’t catch everything. But here it is – a relic of the past brushed off and remade.  If you are into storybook making, check out this post on the topic!

View Full Screen

1. Daniel K says:

Neat! Thanks so much for sharing! 🙂

Thank Daniel, appreciate it.

I do so much online and thought along with everything else, it would be a good example of how we can take a regular book and put it into a digital format fairly simply. I just scanned it, used Snagit editing to tidy up the scanned jpegs – then put into Picasa as a book slideshow. Also took the photos and made into a ppt book.

3. Teresa Bestwick says:

Wow! Some inspired writing there. I particularly liked the Mastercard poem and the Park Bench Sunrise.

Teresa,

Thanks for dropping in! Yes, a world of memories for me, this book and poems. Back in the days when I spent all my time thinking about these kinds of ideas and reading books – that’s life, it changes but feel blessed if any time they hit upon another person’s consciousness…. when I got my book back from my professor (who has since passed on, amazing woman who really instilled this kind of constructivist approach in me) she noted this poem as her favorite and it was haunting her ….