ISTEK ELT Bound

I’m sitting in the airport in Toronto, heading out to the ISTEK ELT Conference in Istanbul. Looking forward to my presentations there and at other universities in Turkey. I’m especially excited because of the focus / theme of the conference – “Through their eyes: Understanding learner perceptions of teaching and learning”.

I’ve been mucking about in education for a long time and have always emphasized self – directed learning and listening to the needs and excitement of our students, damn the tedious hoops we are told to jump through. I look forward to making a few definitive statements about education to any and all attending my sessions or sharing a pint with me. It’s an exciting time to be a student, especially with the possibilities of technology. Equally so, we educators should be excited by the change. I’m sure Sugata Mitra, the keynote, will proudly wave this flag.

Here’s a presentation of some quotes focusing on the conference theme. Threw it together while downing a wonderful tall, bold Starbucks coffee. If you are at Istek ELT – please say hello. You’ll find me at the EnglishCentral booth or wandering about with a gleam in my eye!