Making A Manifesto

I’m always keeping up on what’s new in the world of visual text – be it kinetic typography, gifwordle, tagxedo and loads of other similar applications. They are truly something valuable for us educators – allowing us to add context to text and help students learn words, sentences, language.

Today I was looking at one of my fav manifestos –

It got me thinking that wouldn’t it be a great writing exercise, a great self-expression exercise, if students were to write their own manifestos or even better rewrite/remix the manifestos of others?

I put together this slideshow of examples of other manifestos out there. Download the PDF  or PPT. It would be a great activity to use one of these for a lesson or use them all to provide inspiration for students to make/write their own manifesto about a topic on poster A3 paper.

A great idea and would love to hear from teachers who’ve tried this or something similar!  I will have to think about making a visual version of my own manifesto of art: Gagaism.

2 Responses

1. Chris says:

Just had to say I loved this post. I’m sure I can find applications for this in the future.

2. ddeubel says:

Hi Chris,

Great that it “hit you”. A lot of being a great language teacher (rather than can be good at times, stick to the book type of teacher) is seeing the inherent language learning possibilities in the every day materials around us. Cookbooks, newsletters, origami etc….. I take pleasure in approaching teaching as a creative endeavor and think a lot of teachers do too. Cheers.