June 27, 2007 12:44 am – my first EFL Classroom 2.0 post

[ I’m highlighting the “gems” of EFL Classroom 2.0 this month.  So, thought it appropriate to post up the first of over 1,500 blog posts in that time.  The start. ]

Educational Bliss

I really truly, madly deeply, believe in the power of education. Not as a way to knowledge but wisdom — as a way of forming a proper relationship between yourself and that “outside”. Tat tvam asi” , the brahman might say, “That art thou”.

Not to wax philosophically but I do think that as educators we should always carry this higher purpose within us and let it coat all the practicalities of teaching. I endeavour to do that and try, each day, to touch something infinite.

So I hope in the coming weeks, months, years , to turn here and “shut off the machine” and write what my mind meanders. About education and the larger purpose of things. Also about the small things. I don’t know who wrote the book but I read it in teacher’s college and was enlightened, “The Reflective Teacher”. Let this space be my mirror.

I also want to speak here about the role of technology. So much change but so much potential! Lots I hope to experiment with, try, tweak, throw away in my language teaching future.

I’ve come a long way from my steelworking days! Keep tuning in and turning off your own machine!

DD