• Uncategorized
  • 6

The Present: A lesson plan

I discovered this short video through my PLN today and immediately knew I had to make a lesson plan for it. Thank you my FB teacher friends, it’s a gem.

the present2

The video is a simple story and here is my simple way to use it in class.

[Now get the new and improved lesson materials HERE]

1. Play the video and stop at 2:40. Ask the students what they think will happen next. Discuss.
[I like first just watching, enjoying a video together. Learning doesn’t have to be all work, no play. It’s great in most cases with short video, to let students first “have a go”, take an inductive teaching approach. Students appreciate this.]

2. Give students the sentence strips. Ask them to cut them up. In pairs/groups, ask the students to put them in order.

3. Watch the video again and students can check their answers/order. At the end, read the correct sequence as a class.

4. Students complete the one page worksheet. Take up the answers and share their simple sentence about what the video taught them.

Extension: Use this cartoon version. Have the students rewrite it or just read it.

Download the cartoon version Download the cartoon rewrite

Many different ways to use this in class – mine is just one of them! Enjoy this beautiful message. Ok, now time for me to get outside!

Get all the hundreds of video lessons with resources on ELT Buzz – see the list HERE.

6 Responses

1. Maria Corlito says:

Interesting lesson!!!

2. Liana Kokkaliari says:

Hello from Greece and thank you very much for your ideas and resources! I am going to use this film in my distance teaching lesson plan for 6th graders. Actually, I am working on it now. I was wondering how I could find or make a cartoon strip for the kids to write on. There you are, problem solved! Thank you very much again 🙂

3. ddeubel says:

You’re welcome! It really has a wonderful message for us all. Make sure to visit ELT Buzz Teaching Resources where I continue to create lesson materials for teachers.

4. Pa says:

what is the theme of the video?

5. Anonymous says:

Why not just watch the video? It relates on many levels, many themes. Childhood learning. Bullying. Laziness. But mostly disability.

6. Liana Kokkaliari says:

Anonymous: Exactly! Just read the post, watch the video and think. I had a great online lesson + homework with the excellent lesson plan that DDeubel so kindly posted here. My students liked it very much, especially one of them, who tries to convince his parents to adopt a puppy! About the theme, I didn’t really think about laziness, disability etc. I mostly focused on hope, encouragement, love, sharing etc. A really inspiring lesson! I will surely repeat it next year and the year after next etc 🙂