ELT Buzz

I’ve been around English language teaching (ELT) for 30 years now.  From day 1 in teacher’s college I was known as a “resource” and a “go to” guy for X or Y or Z. Back then it was VHS educational tapes or coursebooks, blackline master reproducible books.  Today, it is the same. I continue to amass and be enlivened by the “buzz” and pulse of ELT.

EFL Classroom was created in 2007 for precisely this reason – to share, to gather, to cull resources and also to have discussions around these teaching resources.

Discussion has traveled to Facebook and Twitter but still EFL 2.0 remains a place where teachers can get excellent, approved/quality (that’s key) teaching resources for ESL/EFL/ELT classes.

But I’ve found the community oldish, clunky and most importantly not about sharing anymore. It is still there and 1,000s drop in and download daily. But I’ve moved on and have now launched ELT Buzz.

I hope you’ll check it out and support it.

•  ELT Teaching directory. New teachers can get essential lists / buzz of what is the best in ELT for many categories. Vote things up to show you think they are quality and the best.
  • SharingSubmit a site/service/product/person related to ELT you think should get seen.
  • Blogging.  View the blog. Or submit your own blog post. We use canonical URLs so we won’t cannibalize your original blog post or site. We’ll just get you a wider audience. Post a new blog post here.
  • Resources. View the Teaching resources category or the Top Videos category – all with resources for teaching with those videos.
  • Newsletter.  A key part of ELT Buzz.  Weekly update of all the news and new things in ELT. See our first issue. Subscribe to get it in your inbox.   Also see our constantly updated ELT Buzz News Feed. 

As you can see, its ambitious. A la the 37 signals ethos, I’m just getting it out there and building it as I go along. It will get much better in the coming weeks and months.

I hope you’ll contribute with upvoting, submitting, liking, sharing and getting the site known. Thanks in advance!

Feedback much welcome. Comment here or click the feedback button on ELT Buzz.

1. Nicholas Walker says:

I would like to recommend that you tell your readers about the VirtualWritingTutor.com. It is a 100% free online grammar checker, designed to catch the errors in ESL learners’ writing.

It can check grammar, spelling, word choice, paraphrasing, vocabulary, and essays. I can even score IELTS essays!

It was made and is actively being developed by a college teacher in Montreal, and was recently awarded the Reconnaissance Institutionelle by Ahuntsic College in the category “exceptionelle” for techno-pedagogy.

Hi Nicolas,

I’ll check it out this week. Seems like a good tool. You can also submit it to ELT Buzz and we’ll let others know about it – go here – https://eltbuzz.com/subscribe/

3. James Rutherford MD says:

I appreciate you including Top20english.com, a free curated directory, in your teaching resources. I like the format of ELT Buzz. We include EFL classroom 2.0 in the blog roll on our front pages and also on all of the subcategory directories. We will be able to include other references from ELT Buzz. Learning English remains the gateway to all of the world-class educational material on the internet. — Jim

You’re welcome James. ELT Buzz is supposed to solve the problem of many new teachers entering the profession but not having a place to start and get informed. EFL Classroom will be closing the end of Dec. Right now completing the transition.

David