This is an example of a video made through “kinetic typography”, a graphics display that really brings subtitling to a new level. Here’s another (but very fast for classroom use – Abbott and Costello’s: Who’s on first?)

Text is highlighted and presented in ways that contextualize it. The word “jump” could literally jump. Pictures can be included and color is used for communicative effect. It brings language presentation to a whole different level.

I’m a big proponent of using video to contextualize language learning. However, one problem is that video over stimulates the learning and takes the emphasis off the language ( not always but often) . Students watch a pop music video but instead of learning the language through the subtitles – they are entraced by the lights and mini skirts.

KT and subtitled only video (see my own playlist of these) really help get around this and keep the focus on language, noticing language and transfering meaning. It is an astounding technique that will grow and grow as more people become adapt at making them.

They aren’t easy to make! I’ve been learning for the last few weeks and will publish one soon. If interested, here’s a tutorial for using Adobe Illustrator to make one.

Fortunately, there are lots of publicly available ones for use in your own classroom! I’ve compiled a whole player of some I consider really strong, powerful, for language learning. Check out the ones in our video player too – especially, Let the Drummer Kick.

To end – here’s one that I think is stellar. A great song and easy to follow the lyrics.